Saturday, March 30, 2013

Cream Puffs

 
 
I made these cream puffs for Easter dinner.  They are a favorite of my husband and my father.  My Nana used to make them every year for Easter, as well as other times throughout the year as a special treat.  I will be filling them tomorrow with vanilla pudding.  Other fillings ideas are chocolate pudding, whipped cream, ice cream, sherbet, and fresh fruit.  I've also done mini ones and filled them with chicken salad. They are perfect for an afternoon tea. I've also drizzled melted chocolate over the tops for a wedding reception.  I used pink and green to coordinate with the wedding colors.   
 
 Here's the recipe I use:
 
Cream Puffs
 
1/2 cup butter (1 stick)
1 cup water
1/8 tsp salt
1 cup all-purpose flour
4 eggs
 
Filling of you choice
Powdered Sugar
 
In a saucepan, combine butter, water and salt; bring to a boil.  Add flour all at once, stirring vigorously.  Cook and stir until mixture forms a ball that does not separate.  Remove from heat.  Cook for 10 minutes.  Add eggs, one at a time,beating with a wooden spoon after each addition until smooth.  Drop batter by heaping tablespoons, 3 inches apart, onto a greased baking sheet.  Bake in a 400 degree oven for 30-35 minutes or till golden.  Remove to a wire rack to cool.  Split puffs and remove any soft dough inside.  Fill with the pudding and replace tops.  Lightly sift powdered sugar over the tops.  Makes 12.  Enjoy!
 
~peace and blessings~
Lisa


No comments: